When you’re moving abroad, you will most likely need a visa and or work permit, depending on the country you’re moving to. In many cases, over and above a tourist visa, you may have to meet certain other entry conditions. You will probably need a work permit, an entry permit or visa, and a special visa.

A visa allows you to travel to and stay in a foreign country. It is usually affixed to or rubber stamped into a passport. However, in many cases it is issued electronically.

● Most nationalities within the EU can travel restriction free between most countries.
● Members of ASEAN (except Myanmar) may travel between countries with minimal restrictions.
● The US allows some nationals from certain well-developed countries to enter under the Visa Waiver Program for business and tourism purposes, if they complete an online application first.
● Nationals from the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand can enter European Economic Agreement nations without a visa.

There are many different types of visas, and the one for which you apply will depend on your personal situation.

Meeting the appropriate entry requirements and regulations can be a mammoth task if you don’t have someone who can help you out. Working with registered agents of the Department of Labour or a similar body in the country you want to move to will make the process quicker and easier.

How to Apply for a Visa

In many cases, you can fill out the visa application online. The application, along with your supporting documents can be printed and mailed or handed in to the destination country’s local consulate.

The consulate will mail you your visa, or you can collect it.

The application process can take anywhere from two weeks to two months.

To apply for a visa and or work permit, you will typically need:

❏ completed and signed application form
❏ passport – valid for a minimum of 3 months after your date of departure
❏ two recent passport sized photos
❏ a residence handling fee
❏ a letter of intent from a prospective employer or a copy of your employment contract
❏ proof of education and professional qualifications
❏ national identity document
❏ official invitations
❏ affidavit of support along with the sponsor’s documents
❏ confirmation of accommodation
❏ travel insurance to cover 30+ days of your stay
❏ proof of affordability to live in your intended country

How to Find the Appropriate Consulate

The embassy or consulate of the country you wish to move to (or your country of nationality’s consulate in the foreign country) would be a fantastic source of information on the information you need and the process to apply for your visa or permit.
Each country has a consulate or embassy in every other country, so it is impossible to list them all in a blog post. To find the appropriate consulate for your overseas move, simply Google:

[country you want to move to] consulate in [current country]

That should provide you with results that will help you find the contact details for the appropriate consulate. Contact them to ask about their visa requirements and how to submit
your visa application.

You may be able to find lists of consulates and embassies online on sites such as embassyworld.org.

A Word of Warning: Third Party Visa Applications

Perhaps the consulate of your preferred country is hours’ drive away from you and you simply can’t do it yourself. Be careful whom you trust with your visa application, as swindlers are impersonating legitimate agents.

An immigration lawyer would be a fantastic source of information and assistance, but can be an expensive option. If you need help with your visa and work permit applications, chat with your free professional relocation assistant now. We will put you in touch with an immigration specialist in your destination to help you obtain all visas and permits you require.